VFX Art Lead - Wild Rift
Job Id: REQ-0006085
As Real-Time VFX artists at Riot, we design and help implement the sleek, dynamic and dramatic special effects that add atmosphere and depth to gameplay. We use our experience to create aesthetically astounding visual effects that communicate essential game information. We use your artistic and technical skills to breathe life into undead spells, channel primal emotions and capture the essence of hundreds of champions.
As a VFX Art Lead, you will report to the Art Director. You’ll guide the conception and implementation of the VFX style. In addition to providing clear direction, you’ll transfer and implement the sleek, dynamic and dramatic special effects that add atmosphere and depth to the gameplay. Through your expertise, you’ll mentor and level-up the craft and game developer skills of your VFX team and external partners. You will work with the Art Director to implement a VFX style that fits within the art pillars and punctuates the game design. You will implement the effects and set the high bar. We also value differentiation and subtlety with your craft.
As a VFX Art Lead on Wild Rift, you will support the VFX artists and artists from other disciplines, both in craft and career as we transfer and create assets that will be both authentic and high quality. Work may vary from In-game champion and skins VFX, Map VFX, Turntable cinematic, Wild Rift game mode and Goodies. You will work closely with Product Leads, Delivery Leads, Discipline Leads, Stakeholders, and the Art Director to stay aligned on vision and priorities. Quickly mediate and resolve craft disagreements and misalignments. Prioritize the craft’s health and support, above personally contributing to art production. Run and manage healthy and productive craft review sessions. Work closely with the VFX Art Leads on other LoL initiatives to build a ‘future forward’ workflow and consistent quality and style.
- As a leader on the art team, you’ll provide direction for the VFX and art team
- Help and work closely with Product lead, Tech lead, and engineering team to create efficient pipeline and tool to convert WildRift VFX asset to WildRift update
- You'll set a clear vision, provide consistent feedback, and build trust with your team
- Balance visual satisfaction and gameplay clarity to ensure amazing effects represent a given action or state
- You'll hold the team accountable to the creation of high-quality work, performance management and setting up a clear career progression
- You'll level up other VFX Artists and critique their work
- 6+ years’ experience in video games industry
- Advanced skills in 3D/2D Software - Maya, Photoshop
- Experience creating high-quality, stylized real-time VFX
- Shipped titles as a Senior or Lead VFX Artist
- High proficiency in VFX development, including fundamentals like timing, shape language, color theory and mesh engineering
- Knowledge of the MOBA genre, as it pertains to game design, isometric content and visual clarity
- Past leadership experience.
- Development experience creating materials and PBR assets within modern game engines (Unreal, Unity, etc)
- Familiarity with the League of Legends IP and WildRift
- Experience with the League of Legends tools and pipeline
- Tools experience: have worked in several tools, pipelines, and game engines.
- Experience giving direction and delivering clear, constructive feedback to vendors
As a part of the application process, you will be expected to provide a portfolio or demo reel of your work and may be asked to complete an art test.
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range between $123,000 USD - $171,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).