VFX Art Intern
Job Id: 5089
As part of the Real-Time VFX team, you’ll design and help implement the sleek, dynamic and dramatic special effects that add atmosphere and depth to gameplay. With your experience, you’ll create aesthetically astounding visual effects that communicate essential game information. You’ll use your artistic and technical skills to breathe life into undead spells, channel primal emotions and visualize the richness of our universes.
In your application, you will select which product you prefer to apply for:
League of Legends
As a VFX Intern, you will report to the VFX Art Lead or Art Director. With the support of the team you will create the visuals for new characters, skin thematics, or help explore new spaces. You will work closely with the members of your discipline to engage and learn from established best practices. A VFX Intern on League of Legends will succeed by proactively learning from those around them to navigate the ever changing landscape of fast paced development. This internship focuses on close collaboration, learning visual effects craft, and growing a developer mindset.
As a VFX Intern on the Teamfight Tactics, you will report to the VFX Art Lead. You will support a variety of projects On TFT, both in craft and game-play as we create assets that will both surprise and delight players. Workdays will vary from multiple products from Environment VFX, unique BOOMS, converting League of Legends champions, traits, new gameplay mechanics and exciting new R&D prospects. You will work with designers and other discipline artists making exciting VFX for TFT. You will be working closely with all the VFX artists both on TFT and League of Legends to ensure you grow in craft and feel comfortable jumping on a variety of VFX tasks.
As a VFX Intern on Valorant you will be using your creativity to create VFX based within the Valorant art style. You will use your artistic and technical skills to breathe life, atmosphere and depth to the game and Valorant universe. You will create aesthetically astounding, dynamic and dramatic VFX that communicate essential game information and add depth to player expression. This role requires a strong willingness to be a part of a highly inclusive and collaborative team of developers. Working with a VFX craft partner you will level up your craft skills and gain valuable development experience working on a fast paced live operations game. You will participate in VFX reviews with VFX artists on the Valorant team. You will be working with teams consisting of designers and artists across Animation, Techart, Game Design, Production and Integration departments.
- Design and help implement the sleek, dynamic, and dramatic special effects that add atmosphere and depth to gameplay
- Balance visual satisfaction and gameplay clarity while working to ensure amazing effects are accurately representing a given action or state
- Create aesthetically astounding visual effects that communicate essential game information and capture the essence of hundreds of characters
- Use your craft skills to draw, paint, animate and model with equal proficiency as-needed
- Use your knowledge of visual effects to synthesize brand new assets from classic designs
- Find creative and effective solutions to eliminate difficult problems in production and as-needed
- Currently enrolled in a college, university or non degree program
- Available to work full-time hours for 10-12 weeks at our Los Angeles headquarters (subject to change based on COVID-19 restrictions)
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Skills in 3D/2D Software - Maya, 3DS Max, Photoshop
- Experience creating real-time VFX
- Proficiency in VFX development, including fundamentals like timing, shape language, color theory and mesh engineering
- Experience with Photoshop, Maya or 3DS Max
- Experience with Unity, Unreal, or equivalent game engine VFX tools
- Experience with hand drawn, painterly art style visual effects
- Knowledge of our games, as it pertains to game design and visual clarity
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
General Portfolio Advice:
- Please limit application submission to 1 role. You will automatically be considered for similar roles based on your portfolio
- Online format is preferred (Artstation, personal websites, etc.)
- If you have private work that is under NDA, please include the password in your application. Otherwise, we recommend you do not password protect your portfolio
- Test that your portfolio or reel is accessible. Please include access to your portfolio on your resume in addition to the application form in case the link breaks
- Ensure your portfolio showcases your best work
- Fan Art? Sure! It shows your versatility as it relates directly to our art style
- Depending on the role, immersing yourself in the game to get the feel, tone and look can go a long way for your portfolio
Riot Internships are paid, and we offer relocation and housing support. Interns can also participate in our 401(k) plan. You can expect subsidized meals, in-game perks, and the ability to participate in our Play Fund, so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games. The University Programs team also invites you to intern focused events so you can connect with your fellow interns and Rioters to make the most out of your experience.
Applications Close January 6th 12:00pm PT
(Los Angeles, CA only) Hourly range between $33.51 USD - $35.48 USD
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).