Technical Game Designer II - TFT, Gameplay
Job Id: REQ-0006594
Technical Game Designers on the TFT team are both game designers and engineers. They work on game teams to find fun, dream up great champions, traits, cosmetics, and progression systems, and then use their world-class technical skills to design and build the systems, tools, and features to make it all real. Like all Riot game designers, they need to be able to break down tough gameplay problems, empathize with players, and come up with solutions both dreamy and practical. And like all Riot engineers, they develop expertise on our tech stack, and can build efficient, maintainable, and effective technology.
Accordingly, while this is primarily a game design role, the requirements also include significant engineering skills. This role reports to the Initiative Design Lead for Gameplay.
- Gain an understanding of TFT's and Riot's strategic goals, and work with a diverse team of developers to execute on those goals
- Use Riot's design tools and expertise in C++ to build effective, efficient, and maintainable gameplay and systems for TFT
- Act as an effective bridge between engineering and game design, and take ownership of complex systems in this space (for example, tech designers designed, built, and maintain our Armory system)
- Advocate effectively for players in planning and creative meetings
- Critique others' work with sensitive candor, and be so critiqued in turn
- Help strengthen and grow the design discipline, and tech design specifically (this can take many forms: giving design talks, participating in and improving our interview process, documenting best practices and standards, etc.)
- 3+ years of experience as a Technical Game Designer, Gameplay Engineer, or similar positions
- Great game design analysis and problem solving skills
- Give feedback that's both sensitive and clear; receive and act on feedback in a collaborative spirit
- Experience with defining tasks and communicating details about target player experiences
- 4+ years of experience as a Technical Game Designer or Gameplay Engineer or similar positions
- A systematic, well-tested design approach that emphasizes clear goal setting and solutions that speak directly to those goals
- A strong understanding of technical and creative tradeoffs, and how changes to goals will affect which solutions we should adopt
- Experience with the auto-battler genre and/or mobile game development
- Deep engagement with TFT's gameplay and systems (note this is not required!)
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
(Los Angeles only) This job has a base salary range of $136,000 USD - $190,000 USD + incentive compensation (annual [and long-term]) + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.