Technical Art Intern - Tools & Pipeline
Job Id: 5105
The mission of Technical Art at Riot is to establish and improve the systems, tools, rigs, assets, and workflows that unleash the creativity of our artists and allow the production of the best possible art content for our players.
As a Technical Art Intern, Tools/Pipeline team you’ll help breathe life into the League of Legends universe and other Riot Games content. You’ll employ your knowledge of 3D tools and problem-solving skills to build tools, maintain pipelines and provide technical support for artists on their most critical missions.
In your application, you will select which product you prefer to apply for:
League of Legends
As a Tools & Pipeline Technical Art Intern on League of Legends, you'll inform the tech used for content development. This will involve building tools, pipelines, and workflows for Digital Content Creation software, working with engineering in the design of our in-house tools, and consulting with art to discover the best possible solutions to the challenges we face. You'll report to the Tools & Pipeline Technical Art Lead on TechOps.
On the Tools & Pipeline team in TFT as a Technical Art Intern, you'll be regularly involved in conversations with our Game Teams (Design, Art, UI, etc.) to field tool updates and requests, and help prioritize those requests to form project plans. This will involve learning how we build Characters, Environments, Tacticians, and/or UI assets for TFT, and contributing to the development of tools and workflows that help make all of those pipelines more efficient. You'll have the opportunity to create scripts and tools for Digital Content Creation (DCC) software, such as Maya or Photoshop, as well as improve our in-house tools. Lastly, you'll report to the Tools & Pipeline Technical Art Lead on TFT.
Tech Foundations (League Studio)
As a Tools & Pipelines Technical Art Intern on Tech Foundations, you’ll be involved with creating long term tech solutions for our content developers. This will involve building tools and pipelines in software like Maya and Photoshop for creating 2D and 3D game assets, as well as working with the game engine tool that powers League of Legends and Teamfight Tactics. You will work with artists and engineers to learn about workflows and how to integrate assets in the game engine. You will be reporting to the Tools & Pipeline Technical Art Lead on Content Workflows.
- Jump into any art pipeline, whether it’s environment, character or other artistic discipline, to help maintain, manage, build and support the team’s 3D tools
- Coordinate, execute and help drive the art team projects forward
- Become a liaison between art teams and various stakeholders to provide support for interdisciplinary efforts
- Interface with key stakeholders and team leads when assessing and completing tasks
- Help promote strategic visions for projects
- Use your skills as a 3D generalist to improve, maintain and provide support for every art tool available
- Currently enrolled in a college, university or non degree program
- Available to work full-time hours for 10-12 weeks at our Los Angeles headquarters (subject to change based on COVID-19 restrictions)
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Coding experience in modern scripting languages, such as Python
- Experience with content creation tools, such as Maya and Photoshop
- Experience in game development using modern engines, such as Unity and Unreal 4, including Blueprint
- Experience writing tools to support artists’ needs within a development pipeline
- Exposure to digital asset repositories, such as Perforce.
- Exposure to programming fundamentals, such as data structures, algorithms, and design patterns.
- Exposure to UI/UX design and front-end development frameworks, such as PyQt/PySide.
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will certainly be looking at your past studies and experience, but for this role, we also look for dedicated people with a personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
General Portfolio Advice:
- Please limit application submission to 1 role. You will automatically be considered for similar roles based on your portfolio
- Online format is preferred (Artstation, personal websites, etc.)
- If you have private work that is under NDA, please include the password in your application. Otherwise, we recommend you do not password protect your portfolio
- Test that your portfolio or reel is accessible. Please include access to your portfolio on your resume in addition to the application form in case the link breaks
- Ensure your portfolio showcases your best work
- Fan Art? Sure! It shows your versatility as it relates directly to our art style
- Depending on the role, immersing yourself in the game to get the feel, tone and look can go a long way for your portfolio
Riot Internships are paid, and we offer relocation and housing support. Interns can also participate in our 401(k) plan. You can expect subsidized meals, in-game perks, and the ability to participate in our Play Fund, so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games. The University Programs team also invites you to intern focused events so you can connect with your fellow interns and Rioters to make the most out of your experience.
Applications Close January 6th 12:00pm PT
(Los Angeles, CA only) Hourly range between $36.78 USD - $38.94 USD
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).