Tech Lead - Tools (C++)
Job Id: REQ-0006580
Established in 2020, the Singapore Studio is Riot’s second international game development studio. Working with our Hong Kong Studio, Riot has expanded our footprint in Asia and accelerated our talent growth to develop games that deliver great experiences to our players. Our mission is to “scale Riot’s games to hyper-serve players.”
We partner with our LA headquarters on game development for League of Legends, Teamfight Tactics, and Legends of Runeterra. We’re also building teams for VALORANT and Project L, our take on a fighting game. The Singapore Studio is seeking talented, passionate Rioters with backgrounds in all areas of game development to build games that make it better to be a player.
We’re focused on working together to promote individual autonomy, ownership, collaboration, and inclusivity, so every Rioter can be their best while we boldly pursue games.
That's where YOU come in!
As a Tech Lead - Tools on League of Legends, you will work on low-level engine systems and user-facing tools to improve how we author materials, Shaders, and Particle systems.
The weight of the position requires collaboration with all art (& technology) disciplines to ensure we have a thoughtful set of tools that content creators can use.
Our tools are written in C++ and heavily use the QT ecosystem.
For this role, you'll report to the team's Engineering Manager. You will also partner with other teams and disciplines to ensure that your work improves those partners' quality of life and effectiveness.
- Work in a Scrum Team that develops tools for internal users
- Provide engineering support to technical artists on tools & pipeline enhancements, including systems analysis, design reviews, and code reviews
- Create technical designs for new features and architectural changes
- Create standards to ensure high-quality code
- Work with all the stakeholders (artists, TA, producers) to create new needed tools
- Communicate with all the stakeholders to identify and fix pain points and blockers
- Align with international teams on coding standards, engineering practices, and technology updates
- Analyze the existing codebase to identify Tech debt and propose solutions to clear them.
- Coach and mentor more junior engineers through code reviews and 1-on-1 feedback
- 8+ years of deep hands-on experience with C++
- Experience working on Content Creation Tools (e.g., within Gaming, Simulation, AR/VR)
- Experience working with Users (e.g., Requirement gathering, Feedback process, workflow analysis, etc.)
- Experience working with QA, test environments, and secure deployment
- Experience building scalable and maintainable applications.
- Technical team leadership experience
- Experience building tools & pipelines that are scalable and maintainable with a focus on content production/artwork (VFX, Animation, etc.)
- Good understanding of Shaders, Material, and Particle systems.
- Experience Working with Qt or similar C++ UI libraries.
- Solid experience in handling Technical Debt on a 5+ year project
Good to have Qualifications
- Experience working on low-level Game Engine systems
- Understanding of UX and UCD (User Experience process, User Centric Design process)
- Experience working with Scripts (Python)
- Ability to read/write and speak Mandarin to liaise with overseas teammates
For this role, you’ll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will look at your past studies, experience, and relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experience, this could be your role!
- Full relocation support
- Full health insurance for you, your spouse, and children
- Open paid time off
- Retirement benefits with company matching
- Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability
- Play Fund so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games
- We will double down on your donations of time and money to non-profits