Systems Designer III - Player Platform, Behavior Evaluation and Moderation
Job Id: REQ-0006561
Player Dynamics is an emerging field of design pioneered by Riot and organizations like the Fair Play Alliance to address a huge problem in today’s world: how to make it safe and fun to be social online. We seek to foster healthy social environments in and around online games and fulfill the promise of group play. This is a unique opportunity to positively shape and influence a generation of games.
As a Systems Designer III working on the Central Player Dynamics team you will be at the forefront of Player Dynamics & Behavior. You will be responsible for crafting and maintaining cross-game systems and practices which ensure the safety and health of our community by identifying & preventing bad behavior and determining appropriate interventions to encourage reform. Additionally, your analytical skills, player insights, and creativity will pioneer thinking and best practices around encouraging positive play, reducing disruptive behavior and building resilient communities across the Riot ecosystem. You will report to the Player Dynamics senior design manager on Player Platform.
- Ideate, prototype, and generate multiple designs and solutions that encourage positive play and reduce disruptive behavior. Articulate trade-offs and risks between different options with a clear understanding of content and product level goals.
- Design, tweak, optimize Understand, maintain and improve the performance of large-scale moderation systems which identify disruptive behavior and address it with targeted interventions (such as warnings or penalties).
- Collect, create and document product requirements for Player Dynamics features working in conjunction with designers, product managers, & games teams across Riot.
- Collaborate closely with product & engineering disciplines to take systems and features from concept to implementation.
- Work with senior designers to conceive and refine design and policy frameworks for social and Player Dynamics features across multiple types of game.
- 5+ years of experience designing digital product experiences or online multiplayer games solving player needs and delivering impact
- AND/OR 5+ years of experience working professionally on moderation or trust & safety efforts in online communities
- Can create and improve complex systems with attention to player impact and internal customer needs.
- Proven ability to think about and deliver solutions for abstract, big-picture problems and strategy.
- Basic Familiarity with the psychology and sociology of online behavior and communities.
- Able to effectively influence positive player outcomes by leveraging insights, strategy, and storytelling to get complex work accomplished across a diverse set of partners.
- Experience in professional Game and/or Systems Design.
- Passion for and engagement with online competitive games and game communities, especially Riot games.
- Advanced degrees in or research experience with psychology, sociology, human-computer interaction or cognitive science especially with online communities is a major plus.
- Have worked directly or indirectly with statistics, machine learning, natural language processing and data science in general.
- Experience working with large-scale back-end services or platforms and the collaboration / orchestration that comes with delivering them with impact.
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in gaming.
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range between $136,000 USD - $190,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).