Staff Software Engineer, Services - R&D Core Technology Team
Job Id: REQ-0002885
Riot Engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the chance to work in many broader domains. As a Staff Software Engineer, you’ll also dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team goals. You’ll lead without authority and provide other engineers with a clear illustration of extraordinary engineering.
As a Staff Software Engineer on the R&D Core Tech team, you will help the development of our shared game development ecosystem, as used by all our R&D games. You will architect the way backend systems are developed across the entire portfolio of Riot’s next-generation of games. In close collaboration with R&D Teams, and in partnership with Riot Central Tech, you’ll set the direction and ensure the health of our games’ services development ecosystem. You will report to the Engineering Manager of the R&D Core Tech team.
- Architect and communicate the vision of our shared game backend services development ecosystem, in collaboration with R&D Game Teams and Riot Central Tech.
- Contribute to designing, building and delivering large scale backend services for upcoming games.
- Be an effective and reliable partner for R&D Game Teams’ to collaborate with on their game-specific backend technology needs, while championing shared solutions when possible.
- Contribute to driving Riot’s overall backend technology stack towards delivering value for game teams.
- Partner with relevant Central Tech teams to architect and deliver frameworks, solutions and systems to game teams in a robust and well-integrated way.
- Work closely with the rest of the R&D Core Tech team to represent the backend services perspective in our overall shared game development ecosystem.
- 6+ years of development experience
- Experience with large scale backend systems development and architecture
- BS in Computer Science, or proven understanding of CS fundamentals
- Experience working with multiple teams towards a common goal
- Experience in a Tech Lead role, coordinating multiple teams towards a common goal
- Experience with the Go programming language
- Familiarity with Unreal Engine
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range between $170,000 USD - $238,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.