Staff Software Engineer, Services - Legends of Runeterra
Job Id: REQ-0006606
Riot engineers bring deep knowledge of specific technical areas but also value the chance to work in multiple broader domains. As a Staff Software Engineer on Legends of Runeterra, you will be involved in a broad range of technology challenges. You will work together with other disciplines in delivering an end-to-end, live, game-as-a-service, Collectible Card Game (CCG) on PC and Mobile experience to players.
As a Staff Software Engineer on the Legends of Runeterrra team you will own, improve, and develop new features end to end for our core back-end microservice stack. This stack serves players globally around the world. You’ll help make key decisions around refactoring, tuning, and fixing our backend microservices to unlock potential for our developers and designers. You will report to the Engineering Manager on the team.
- Collaborating with team-leads delivering value to players in a bi-weekly release cadence.
- Creating technical designs for new features and architectural changes.
- Breaking down multi-month projects into smaller projects and tasks.
- Design and build C# microservices to support a live Unity game.
- Developing and modifying player facing features in our Unity game client.
- Implementing and championing standards to ensure high quality code.
- Coaching more junior engineers through code reviews and 1-on-1 feedback.
- Load test and scale a cloud-native game architecture with a world-wide deployment footprint.
- Troubleshoot live service issues as part of an on-call rotation.
- 6+ years of experience in professional software development.
- 3+ years of experience developing microservices on live production environments.
- Object oriented (OO) development experience (C#, Java, Python, Ruby, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Experience developing high-performance services at global scale.
- Familiarity with SQL, relational databases, caching systems (e.g. Redis), and pub/sub systems (e.g. Kafka, HornetQ, RabbitMQ, etc.)
- Development experience with AWS or other cloud platforms
- Experience with Unity game client development
- Familiarity with containerized microservices
- Experience breaking down and leading execution of multi-month work efforts in scope collaborating with team leadership. This regularly includes collaboration across disciplines and other teams of engineers.
- Experience mentoring team members to level up their technical capabilities
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
(Los Angeles only) This job has a base salary range of $170,000 USD - $238,000 USD + incentive compensation (annual [and long-term]) + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.