Software Engineering Manager C++ - Player Platform, SDK Team
Job Id: REQ-0006350
Riot Engineering Managers inspire and direct Rioters to solve complicated technical problems and are accountable for growing team performance and health. As an Engineering Manager on the Developer Platform SDK team, you will lead a team creating software solutions making the integration of Riot Platform features simple, intuitive and reliable; support all of Riot's games, entertainment and E-Sports client applications. You and the SDK team will achieve this through:
- Working with Game and Experiences teams, empowering them to quickly and reliably deliver maximum value for Players and Fans; this includes VALORANT, League of Legends, TFT.
- Partnering with our teams like Game Platform Services, Commerce, Central Player Dynamics, among others, to integrate their capabilities into the SDK.
- Build client-side access to and insight into Riot Player Platform's capabilities including multiplayer, commerce, social.
- Implement features for multiple platforms (PC, game consoles, iOS, Android), game engines like Unreal and Unity, and problem spaces like voice and communications.
- Evolve the primary technology the SDK is built on, investing in making it easier for our engineers to develop an SDK that is reliable, sustainable, observable and high quality.
You will report into Senior Engineering Lead - Player Platform SDK Teams
- Manage a team of 4-10 software engineers; coach them, overseeing performance management, identifying growth opportunities, and ensuring positive results.
- Manage the health and performance of the engineering team with empathy and authenticity, building trust and inspiring them to overcome challenges.
- Contribute to all parts of the employee life-cycle, including hiring, managing engineers.
- Grow the team through hiring and construct an onboarding process for new team members.
- Stay hands-on with your team's tech, overseeing the technical design and deliverables of the team and working with your team's technical lead.
- Build healthy relationships with other engineering teams at Riot to foster cross-team collaboration.
- Work with game team's technical leads in wholly understanding development needs and challenges when working with central technologies at Riot.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years experience as a software engineer or in a role directly supporting software engineering teams.
- 2+ years experience managing an engineering team.
- Expertise in full software development life cycle management.
- Expertise in project management, prioritization frameworks, and guiding investment strategies in people and systems.
- Experience delivering on multi-month or multi-year projects, establishing clear deliverables and reporting on progress.
- Experience collaborating across multiple teams and prioritizing work efforts.
- Experience with API/SDK architecture and development
- Experience working with multi threaded systems implemented in C++
- Familiarity with client/service application architecture, HTTP-based web services at scale
- Understand the capabilities of mobile platforms;
- Experience in iOS, Android
- Experience in console development (Switch, Xbox, PlayStation)
- Experience in using game engines like Unreal, Unity
- Experience with testing strategies
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
Let's Thrive Together:
Because together we are better.
We know that fresh and varied perspectives will make us better at what we do, so however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, we're excited to hear from you. Don't be discouraged if you feel you don't fully meet every single one of the requirements for a particular role, there's always room for growth at Riot. If you spot a role that will make you want to jump out of bed in the morning, we are waiting to hear from you! Don't forget to include a resume. We receive many applications, but we'll notice a fun, well-written intro that shows us you Dare to Dream and Execute with Excellence.