Senior Character Artist - League, Champions
Job Id: REQ-0006627
As a Senior Character Artist at Riot, you will bring champions to life! Drawing upon your many years of experience, you will help create some of the most iconic characters in the world of gaming. Your sculpting skills, artistic eye, expertise in anatomy, form, and color that will lead the way in character creation. Working within both technical and design constraints, you will use your knowledge of proportions, anatomy and readability to ensure models are optimized in game. Your craft expertise, high-level execution and ability raise the craft expectations of your team and enrich the player's immersive experience.
You will report to a Character Art Lead. This is a #LI-Hybrid position based in the Los Angeles area. You'll be a part of a squad working with different disciplines and also relied upon as someone in your craft. You will participate in craft review sessions and give/receive feedback on the work.
- Create 3D assets ranging from humanoid to creatures
- Understand game requirements to create low poly assets that are optimized for deformation and animation
- Interpret and push concept designs to the next level while accounting for technical and design constraints, such as poly count, texture memory limits, and topology
- Guide artists to hit product quality standards, project art pillars, and highlight improvement areas through a variety of feedback methods
- Find creative solutions to eliminate difficult problems in production and build agreement on improvements to pipelines, processes and techniques
- Communicate with other disciplines to ensure all assets are performant
- Mentor character artists in their craft, delivering feedback to aid in their growth
- 5+ years' experience in the games industry as a character artist working in multiple pipelines and game engines.
- Knowledge of anatomy, form, and color theory
- Experience working with modeling, sculpting, texture creation and baking programs such as Maya, ZBrush, Photoshop, Substance Painter, & 3dCoat
- Experience creating high quality, stylized 3D character art
- Expertise in hand painted textures and current generation character creation techniques.
- Familiarity with the League of Legends IP and skins universe
- Experience teaching in an academic setting
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise and a collaborative spirit that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you.
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
(Los Angeles only) This job has a base salary range of $123,000 USD - $171,000 USD + incentive compensation (annual [and long-term]) + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.