Principal Concept Artist - Unpublished R&D Product
Job Id: REQ-0006610
As a Concept Artist at Riot you will bring characters, creatures, and environments to life. Drawing inspiration from as little as a napkin sketch or as much as a full-blown narrative concept, you will generate ideas and craft designs that are resonant, compelling and iconic. As a problem solver, first and foremost, you will help come up with visual solutions for game concepts
As a Principal Concept Artist on the Research & Development team, you’ll work on a brand new unpublished AAA game. You’ll partner with the Art Director to help build foundational ideas and character concepts. You will also work collaboratively with designers, writers, and producers to bring new worlds and characters to life. And as a senior member of the team, you will also help mentor your fellow team members to continue to raise the art quality bar at the studio. You will report to the Art Director.
- Ideate and create detailed character concept, environment concept, and other supporting visual development artwork for production artists
- Communicate characters personalities through the character concept design
- Communicate the environments history and lore through environment concept design
- Discover and incorporate interesting trends and non-traditional reference
- Continuously deliver concept assets that fulfill the requirements of the project’s game and visual design
- Collaborate with with artists on the team by providing and receiving creative/team feedback and providing clear creative goals and outcomes to your team
- Guide and mentor junior members of the team
- 10+ years of concept art experience in gaming or equivalent industries
- 10+ years of 2D and 3D software development experience
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop
- Deep knowledge of human anatomy, form, and color theory
- Ability to create stylized characters and environments through past professional or personal work samples
- Experience shipping at least one game title
- Experience working on a highly recognizable stylized game
- Experience working with new IP
- Experience working with 3D tools such as Maya, Zbrush, and Unreal
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
When submitting your application, please provide a portfolio of your high-quality concept art - including stylized artwork.
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range between $151,000 USD - $211,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.