Manager, Data Science - Riot Data Products, Cross Product
Job Id: REQ-0002626
As an Engineering Manager within the Riot Data Powered Products Cross Product Team you will lead and collaborate with a multidisciplinary team including Software Engineers, Data Engineers, and Data Scientists to accelerate how game data products are produced, iterated on and operated at a global scale. You will be responsible for setting technical direction, ensuring craft growth for your direct employees, and enabling a health team environment.
The portfolio of teams within the scope of this role have multiple operational models and run games in public cloud providers and Riot’s own private cloud. Your customers and users range from prototype-level R&D teams to feature teams on Legends of Runeterra, VALORANT, Wild Rift, Teamfight Tactics, and League of Legends.
You will report to the General Manager for Cross Products.
- Create, review, and reframe an engineering vision with the team and key stakeholders including the Technology, Product, and Process Leads.
- Support the vision with a solid strategy including the reallocation of resources to focus on priorities.
- Operate with a strong results orientation emphasizing the importance of efficiency and productivity and prioritizing the highest-value work on the team.
- Identify, recruit, interview, and hire software engineers to help teams scale effectively.
- Mentor engineers identifying stretch opportunities for them to grow.
- Manage the health and performance of the engineering team with empathy and authenticity, building trust, and inspiring them to overcome challenges.
- Seek different perspectives to solve problems, encouraging engineers and others to contribute ideas. Base your decisions on sound analysis and avoid biases.
- Provide technical expertise throughout the product life cycle including design, implementation, and delivery of features while continuously improving the software engineering quality and efficiency.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- M.S. in Machine Learning, AI, Statistics, Math, or related Computer Science/Quantitative field with 4+ years of industry experience, or equivalent experience (i.e., Ph.D. with 2+ years relevant experience, or B.S. with 6+ years relevant experience)
- Experience as a Senior Data Scientist/Senior Data Engineer or higher
- Strong understanding and experience building reliable, scalable, and maintainable software systems.
- Experience developing and deploying Machine Learning models at scale.
- Experience collaborating across departments to create solutions.
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range between $203,000 USD - $283,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).