Director, Software Engineering - R&D Central
SF Bay Area, USA - Bellevue, USA
Job Id: REQ-0006231
As an Engineering Director, you will dive into projects that focus on team cohesiveness and cross-team goals. You will also shape the technical vision and drive the execution of the team's roadmap in partnership with other engineering leaders while working with cross functional roles. You will strengthen the engineering culture in the organization and support the managers and engineers, working with them on growing their skills and helping them reach their career goals.
As a Director, Software Engineering within Research & Development, you will be overseeing engineering efforts on multiple early stage products within the studio, specifically focusing on products in the pre-production stage. You will be accountable for ensuring that the product teams follow the best practices of Research & Development. You will help build world-class R&D products.
You will report to the Engineering Director of the R&D Office.
- Oversee engineering for the products in pre-production stage
- Work closely with the engineering leads of the product teams, ensuring that the teams are well supported
- Mentor engineering teams on the best practices of pre-production stage
- Help manage the process of staffing, onboarding, advancement and off-boarding for engineers
- Hire and grow new Engineering Leads, ensuring that there is an effective engineering organization in place before teams move to production stage
- Directly manage Engineering Leads embedded in product teams. Directly manage individual engineers until there is an embedded Engineering Lead in place, coaching them, holding them accountable to best practices and to their growth plan
- Partner with central tech teams, connect product teams to larger Riot
- Foster cross-team collaboration
- Guide the teams through product stage transitions
- Champion your sourcing and hiring processes to identify and hire engineers
- 15+ years of game development experience
- 8+ years as an Engineering Manager leading game teams
- 3+ years as a tech lead guiding the direction and implementation of a game
- Experience managing through managers
- Experience recruiting engineers and managers and building an engineering team
- Experience being part of a game team from prototype stage to launch
- Experience with Unreal Engine
- Experience leading large teams (20+ engineers)
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range between $231,000 USD - $347,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).