Job Id: REQ-0006504
The Director of Events, Esports is responsible for strategy, planning, execution, and process development of all global events (e.g., LoL Worlds and MSI, VAL Masters and Champs), as well as providing best practices and craft oversight for the events in most regional leagues (e.g., LCS, LEC, IL's), across the Esports pillar, a fast-growing division at Riot started in 2009, with ~5x growth in fans over the last 7-8 years. The division currently spans five games, thousands of professional players, over 100M fans across the globe.
As a Director of Events, you will work directly with other members of the Esports Content Services' leadership team (including leaders from product, broadcast, production, tech, and finance) - to (1) deliver a holistic strategy for Riot's Esports Global Events, (2) frame and rally understanding for event strategies for each of Riot's Global Events, (3) provide oversight and best practices with Riot's Esports Regions for their events, while collaborating on design and execution of Global Events in regional locations, (4) ensure that Riot's Esports Events work towards Esports' long-term goals of growth, fan acquisition and retainment, and sustainability. You will support the Vice President of Esports Content Services in ensuring that the pillar has specific operational and organizational plans - for both global events and regional leagues - that align with both Riot and esports strategies.
In the role, you will manage a team of events producers to create and realize event strategies. You will define and refine Riot Esports strategy in several core aspects of event producing, including vendor selection, contract structuring and negotiations, contractor policies and usage, among others. As a craft leader, you will establish and implement best practices, ensure top quality event producers by directly managing global events and advising regional teams around the world.
You will report directly to the Vice President, Esports Content Services and dotted line report to the Esports Product Leads for LoL, VCT, and other sports.
- Design and implement a Global Esports Events Producer strategy that delivers world-class events to our fans across our Esports portfolio.
- Build and provide management, guidance, and mentorship to the Global Esports Event Producer team
- Share strategy, craft competencies, best practices, and planning resources across Riot Esports regional event producer teams
- Work with product leads to deliver a holistic events strategy and distribute it to Riot Esports team members and partners.
- Collaborate with Content Services team leads of Production, Finance Production, Broadcast, and Remote Production to deliver world class events on time and on budget.
- Lead location sourcing and venue contracting that align with products' road maps for all Riot Esports Global Events.
- Manage events creative, through internal and external resources, including staging, ceremonies, fan activations, and onsite experience.
- Oversee holistic ticketing strategy for Riot Esports Events and event specific strategy for each event, including physical and digital ticketing strategy.
- Onboard and manage vendors for creative vision, visual design, venue sourcing, and talent management.
- Work cross pillar with Games, Entertainment, and Enterprise to lead event producing for location-based experiences.
- 10+ years of producing experience, including production live events, and producing events with broadcast or streaming components.
- 5+ years of people and team management experience, with demonstrated ability for coordinating the successful execution of large-scale events globally.
- Extreme proficiency in creating strategies for large events with successful execution.
- Expert synthesizer of goals and incorporate feedback from multiple team members to ensure events align with all broader Esports goals.
- Track record in team building and organizational design with a sustainable team first leadership style.
- Excellent cultivator of partner relationships, adept in building collaborations and trust.
- Compelling storyteller adept in conveying information across multiple formats.
- Agile navigator through fluid environments with frequently changing priorities.
- This role will require travel up to 25% of the calendar year.
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and choices that focus on your fellow Rioters, who are the customers of your work. Being a dedicated fan of games is not necessary for this position!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range between $168,000 USD - $234,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.