Data Science Intern (PhD) - Technology Research
Job Id: 5298
Riot Data Scientists combine their wide technical expertise across data processing, automation, machine learning ("ML"), artificial intelligence ("AI"), and experimental design to inform decisions and develop robust research prototypes and inform data powered products.
The Technology Research team performs applied research to accelerate the pace of building amazing player experiences at Riot Games. As a Data Scientist Intern on Tech Research, you’ll contribute to a research team whose focus is to leverage content generation and NLP technologies to simplify and amplify game development. To this end, you and your team will track the latest research in relevant areas, work closely with teams to prioritize the most promising research, build prototypes to highlight the value of the research, and in certain cases partner with game teams to create robust and efficient production versions of your prototypes.
- Work closely with game teams and content creators to accelerate the pace that we produce content for our games
- Partner with artists, designers, and engineers to prototype new applications of research
- Explore the application of large language models and state of the content generation models to games in development and production
- Enrolled in an M.S. or Ph.D. program in statistics, engineering, computer science, artificial intelligence, or a related quantitative field (math, physics, etc.)
- Returning for at least one more term following the internship
- Available to work full-time hours for 10-12 weeks
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Experience in deep learning, including frameworks such as Tensorflow or PyTorch
- Experience processing data and build machine learning models using Python
- Experience in machine learning techniques
- Experience in statistical modeling and optimization
- Understanding of distributed systems and concurrent programming
- Familiarity with cloud computing basics on AWS (EC2, S3)
- Experience working with Linux operating systems
- Experience in C++ and game development
- Experience with version control systems. (We use Git)
- Experience in social network analysis, natural language processing, computer vision, or signal processing
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will certainly be looking at your past studies and experience, but for this role, we also look for dedicated people with a personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot Internships are paid, and we offer relocation and housing support. Interns can also participate in our 401(k) plan. You can expect subsidized meals, in-game perks, and the ability to participate in our Play Fund, so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games. The University Programs team also invites you to intern focused events so you can connect with your fellow interns and Rioters to make the most out of your experience.
Applications Close January 10th 11:59pm PT
(Los Angeles, CA only) Hourly range between $57.02 USD - $60.38 USD
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).