Concept Artist II - TFT, Gameplay
Job Id: REQ-0006495
As a Concept Artist at Riot you will bring characters and creatures to life. Drawing inspiration from as little as a napkin sketch or as much as a full-blown narrative concept, you will produce ideas and craft designs that are resonant, compelling and iconic. As Champion Concept Artist, first and foremost, you will help come up with visual solutions for the game.
As a Concept Artist on the Teamfight Tactics team, you will report to a Concept Art Lead. You will create character concepts that will both surprise and delight players. Work may vary from champion skins and other content that players can unlock to customize their TFT experience. You will participate in craft review sessions and give/receive feedback on the work.
- Sketch, brainstorm, and iterate new/rework champion concepts in collaboration with The Product Owner, Game Designer and Narrative Writer
- Create a mood piece of a new/rework Champion Skin that conveys champion’s personality, origin and source of power.
- Present a concise holistic Champion pitch for presentations to your team
- Develop detailed concept art and orthographs for 3D artists and animators to implement into working game assets
- Join weekly playtest to get familiarize with the champion’s game design kit and WIP art
- Guide the vision of the champion from Ideation stage to post-production by working with the artists from your cross discipline
- Bring your understanding of human, animal anatomy, prop design and know how to stretch the limits while still maintaining a clear art direction
- Digitally paint volumetric form and material differentiation in an isometric and orthographic view
- 3+ years of experience as a Concept Artist in the games industry
- Proficient in Photoshop and painting/design tools
- Understand colors and value structure
- Experience creating designs using inspiration from historical, fantasy, scifi, mainstream trends, or pop culture references
- Great understanding designing characters reading in an isometric view
- Understand painting portraiture
- Experience with League IP or a general knowledge of League of Legends
- Experience with broad appeal vs niche aesthetics
- Have deep visual library of recent pop culture content such as anime, video games, movies, manga
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise that prioritizes the delight of players. We will evaluate your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
(Los Angeles only) Base salary range between $99,000 USD - $139,000 USD + incentive compensation + equity + 401K with company match + medical, dental, vision, and life insurance + short and long-term disability + open PTO.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.